Wednesday, March 25, 2009

March "MADNESS"






What do you get when you combine horses and a gate needing to be climbed in order to get to them?











This is what we got.



We spent the week in Burley visiting my family while Blaine was out of town. Jace and Jenna loved it (and I loved all the babysitters). On Wednesday, Jace came in crying and holding his wrist. My dad later reported that he fell off the gate while trying to pet the horses. Throughout the day he seemed to get better and I thought it was just a sprain. That night climbing the stairs before bed, he tripped and fell on it again. I finally got him calmed down after much screaming and crying (or maybe it was the Motrin talking!) The next morning he seemed fine again, a little sore, but better. He was playing outside and came running in to get those who were in the house for something when- you guessed it- he fell again. The kid only has one speed and that is running- I don't know how many times he has fallen or hurt himself because he was going 100 mph. Anyway I finally decided to take him to a doctor just to check it out. I didn't think anything was really wrong, I just wanted to make sure. So after I finally found a doctor in town (it was Spring Break) and was able to get squeezed in, when trekked in to the doctor. Jace was adamant that he didn't want to go to the doctor and insisted that his arm was better. The doctor asked a few questions and immediately sent us over the the hospital across the street to get xrays. Those were taken and Jace did really well. We went back to the doctor's office and waited for the results. And waited.... and waited. Finally she came up and got us and reported that he had fractured both of the bones in his arm right up near the wrist and needed a cast. Oh great!! Putting on the cast went pretty smooth (it is up past his elbow and not at an angle where he can reach his mouth, I might add) and we were soon on our way home to report the news and settle the wagers that everyone had set. He had some trouble getting used to it at first (it is on his right arm...of course!) and after his first bath we went throught two pairs of pajamas because it kept dripping water even though we had it wrapped in a plastic bag- obviously with a hole! Blaine was surprised to say the least when I reported the news to him that night. Jace is now doing really well with it now, has become a pretty good lefty, and only asks to have it taken off once in a while. In three weeks we will return to Burley to have the cast removed and hopefully everything will look okay. But until then, we will continue to try and protect ourselves and Jenna from the arm that has become a weapon.



Did I mention that it was last March when Jace got that herpes virus in his mouth (most likely from the airport or plane- YUCK!) and had trouble eating? Yeah, that was also fun. From now on, we are staying away from Burley during the month of March.

6 comments:

C. Stover said...

oh dear!!! that's quite the speing 'break'!

chris said...

Despite the bumps and breaks, it was nice to see you guys. I hope all heals well. Take care,
Chris and kiddos

lynsey said...

poor kid! what a tough guy though, only crying when he kept falling on it. your kids are both so cute, i love jenna's chubby cheeks!

Kathy said...

He still looks pretty pleased with himself so I'll bet he will turn out just fine. I think kid breaks are really hard to tell.

Tarrah and Eric said...

Ahh poor little guy. Looks like he's pretty proud of it though:)

Anonymous said...

Next year just let him watch college basketball like everyone else!