Thursday, November 1, 2007

Phone Addict

And I'm not talking about me. Jace and I were outside a couple of days ago. I was staining our back deck and Jace was getting his wiggles out by playing in the yard. We had quite a bit of rain the week before and our yard is still soggy, but what can a little mud hurt? We were doing great and getting a lot accomplished. We then had to take a trip inside the house for Jace's personal reasons:) and he was too muddy to go back outside (I don't know how you can be too muddy to back out) so he stayed inside playing with his toys while I was right through the open door. Every once and a while I would call to him to see how he was doing and I would get a response like, " Aaahhh bbee ggoooooddd." So finally I finished staining and went inside to find Jace in our room with the phone to his ear. I picked up the receiver and heard nothing so hung it up. I was thinking he was just playing and the phone has since been moved out of reach (for at least a little while longer). I looked at my caller ID and saw that I had missed a call from Blaine so I called him back. He was glad to hear from me, but wondered what I needed. I asked him what he needed because he called first. He said that he had a nice 2 minute chat with Jace. We figured out that Blaine had called home and somehow I neglected to hear the phone, but "luckily" Jace didn't. He went into our room and picked up the receiver (Blaine said he heard a lot of banging around) and said "Hi Daddy" because that is what he says no matter who he is talking to. This whole time Blaine said he could hear me in the background so he thought I was there helping him, but we figured out that it was probably when I was yelling from the deck asking Jace how he was doing. All in all we got quite the kick out of it, but I am still in disbelief because we never taught him how to talk on the phone. I guess it's time for mom to cut back on her minutes!!

2 comments:

Kathy said...

The story makes me want to call and talk to the little guy. Shows the power of example. How was Halloween?

Mom

Anonymous said...

I think that talking on the phone is a natural behavior. Every kid I know has had a fascination with phones. Bridger puts whatever he has in his hands up to his ear and starts talking. Looks like you have yourself a little secretary. Now just work on his message taking skills...:)