Thursday, October 11, 2007
Inspiration
I felt inspired when I read all of your posts about your conference weekend. I will admit, I am a little late in commenting on my weekend, but I felt impressed to do so. I should clarify about what my inspiration was about. I will admit that throughout the entire weekend and all of the sessions, there were several talks that really connected with me, but my mind kept wandering back to all of the fun conference traditions you guys have. The big breakfasts, the treats, the games. It was all very fun to read, and in some aspect, take part in. You have inspired me to start some kind of tradition of our own to make conference just that much more special. In fact, the home that we went to for the Sunday sessions has a tradition of having cinnamon rolls every year. That is definitely one that we'll be starting. There was one talk that Blaine and I really took to heart and I wish I could remember who gave the talk. It was about good, better, and best things. We have tried to implement that into our lives and it has really made a big difference. In fact, on Monday I took this counsel and put it to the test. Mondays are my big work day. We are recovering from the weekend and this is the day I choose to clean, scrub, launder, etc. I have the most energy at the beginning of the week and odds are that I usually get things done. Let it be known that Jace does not see things from my point of view and Mondays (and other days) are usually pretty rough on him because I do not give him as much attention as he deserves. After the day is done, sure, I will have a clean house, but I always regret not spending enough time with him. This Monday I decided things would be different. I still went about my usual tasks (good things), but anytime Jace wanted to read a book or play catch (better things) or snuggle with his mom (best things because that rarely happens), I would stop what I was doing and take time for him. We had so much fun. It was the first time in a long time that I went to bed that night with no regrets. It has been a blessing in our family. I strongly recommend that talk to everyone.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Angie,
Thank you for your comment. I really felt inspired by what you said. I do the same thing. I hurry around and then have regrets about how I didn't spend time with the kids or Jeanna. Thanks for putting the talk into a real life situation. I need to do better.
Hope you guys are well. Maybe we'll come out to see you sometime when we are back east. Are we ever back east? Well, maybe someday. Do you know anyone with a lot of money who just wants to give it away?
Harold
that was one of my favorite talks too. i have also tried to implement the better and best things in my life too. i don't think i've been as successful as you but i'm working on it. thanks for sharing your experience! it's always nice to hear things put into action.
I would say inspiration is right. That is exactly what I needed to hear today. I was just feeling bad because I don't feel like I give Bridger nearly enough attention. There always seems to be something to do. Thanks for helping me realize that it doesn't have to be big things, just the little things will help me feel less neglectful of the little guy.
Thanks for the uplifting thought. Have a great day. Have fun with the grandparents.
what an awesome perspective, i loved reading that! ben & i loved that talk too and really need to do better about remembering what is most important, what will really make the difference in our quest to be good spouses, parents & good people overall. great blog, thanks!
I agree--those are things I need to be better about too! Thanks for putting it in writing...makes a world of a difference!
THanks Angie, that really made me feel good that we can take such a big talk and bring it right down to our own level and implement it in our life. Thanks for sharing that, I am so glad things went so well for you. After my big week of school stuff, I really would like to spend some time with my kids. which I think is the best!
I loved that talk too. I think that is one thing I struggle with too. I give too much emphasis on the good and not enough on the best.And cinnamon rolls..we are going to have to start that one!
Post a Comment